Monday, September 14, 2015

Istanbul Off the Beaten Path

In early October I plan to spend a week in Istanbul.  Not so remarkable.  What is unusual for me is that I plan to stay on the Asian side, in Kadikoy, and visit several neighborhoods and sites that I've wanted to visit for years.  I plan to explore the lovely village of Kuguncuk, known for its old wooden houses and heritage of diverse cultures.  Ditto, to visit the Beyerbeli Palace, a lovely Ottoman palace chock full of history and in an enviably beautiful position on the shores of the Bosphorus.  I will explore the Moda quarter in Kadikoy, known for its Bosphorus-side tea gardens and ice cream shops. I hear there is an excellent wine bar in Kadikoy with delicious Turkish vintages.  (Yes, there are numerous wonderful wines in Turkey, many made from tongue-twisting grape varietals.) And the Kadikoy market area which I've long loved will be my local.... can't wait.  I will post information on my finds, which are sure to be numerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment